Read and reread the passage with an open heart, asking the holy spirit to speak to you. As you read, ask:
- What is happening in this passage?
- What things are emphasized, repeated, and related?
- What do you see about God? What is God doing in this passage?
- What do you see about man?
Spend some time reflecting. Ask yourself these questions, and write down your thoughts:
- What is going on in the passage?
- Who is writing and who are they writing to?
- When was the author writing?
- What are the circumstances that the author is addressing?
- Does the writer mention anything that might indicate his purpose or intent?
- How do you think the author wants his audience to respond?
Meditate on what God is saying to you and how it effects your life. Ask yourself these questions:
- Is there truth to believe? Sin to repent of? A promise to claim? A command to follow?
- What things need to change in light of this text?
- How will I live differently and be different because of what I just read?
Pray through the passage and your application, asking God to change your heart and to change your life based on the time you've spent in God's word.